Monday, January 12, 2015

Orphan Black - Season 2

Title: Orphan Black

Broadcasting Station: BBC America


Official Synopsis: Season two of BBC AMERICA’s dramatic conspiracy thriller, Orphan Black, hits the ground running with Sarah (Golden Globe® nominee Tatiana Maslany, Parks and Recreation) in a desperate race to find her missing daughter Kira (Skyler Wexler) – a wild pursuit that brings her head-to-head with ruthless pro-clone, Rachel (Maslany). This season also rejoins Sarah’s clone sisters Alison (Maslany) and Cosima (Maslany) as they struggle to keep their clone world a secret and pick up the pieces of their broken lives – all while dealing with the harsh reality that no one around them can be trusted. 

Official Page

Official Trailer

  *This TV series has been rated TV-MA, for mature audiences.*


STEPH SAID

Rating: 


Review:


Politics and power plays are at the center of this season. This season is all about trust; the main clones, along with the viewers, won't be able to decide who to trust. Everyone seem to have a hidden agenda, which leads to many scams, betrayals and lots of suspense. The episodes were so packed, that many times the development of the story was implied through one line. For example, why waste time telling a new character the clone story when the viewer already knows it? Better skip ahead to when the character is fully informed and is O.K. with the idea of clones. This leaves more time for plot development. This is how TV should be: quick, resourceful, and rich in drama.

I still cannot believe that Tatiana Maslany hasn't received an Emmy nomination. She is so wonderful, that I regularly forget that it is her, the same actress, who portrays all of the clones. Maslany is so great, that you can tell when she is acting as a character who is acting as another. She can act as Sarah acting as Alison or Cosima, and you can tell. Maslany is also full of surprises. Just when you begin to believe you have seen it all, she goes on to act as a man. I was speechless. She even looked more “manly” Jordan Gavaris, than who plays her foster brother.

Thoughts about recurrent/minor characters are as follow. A) Angie is getting on my nerves. She is the character that I disliked the most. I dislike her even more that I dislike Rachel. B) I don't know what to think of Cal yet, since I barely know him. C) I was glad to see Helena again. I know she is evil, but, to me, she is only misguided. That is why she is so crazy, and yet so gullible and naive at the same time. D) Scott's personality added a nice touch to the story. The scene where he is playing a board game with his friends, and Cosima joins them was pretty funny. E) It was so nice to see Death – I mean Ben, as a minor character. F) Last, but not least, is Donnie. He surprised me this season. He went from an annoying idiot to a budding bad-ass in one episode.

The ending was both surprising and promising. I didn't see it coming. I was a bit lost during the final minutes of the finale. It had too much coded talk too fast, at least for me. Still, the big message came across easily enough. And, once I knew what is was, I was left craving more Orphan Black.

0 comments:

Share your thoughts...