Monday, October 29, 2012

Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Online Story)



Title: Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Online Story)

Author: Jeff Kinney

Year of Publication: 2003 

Official Site: Wimpy Kid

Read it here: Funbrain

Synopsis: Greg Heffley is thrust into middle school, where undersized weaklings share the hallways with kids who are taller, meaner, and already shaving.



STEPH SAID

Rating: 

Review: 

Ever since the first movie came out I have been intrigued by this series. I didn’t actually put it in my to-read list, because I thought it was going to be a book for kids, since it says “wimpy kid” on its cover. Then, I read somewhere that the books were based on the online story and, since it is free on the internet, I decided to give it a try. If I liked it I would read the books, if I didn’t, I would’ve just read one story instead of seven (of course, at that time I didn’t knew the online story has more than one thousand pages!).

I was hooked from the beginning. This story has that "je ne sais quoi" that just makes you want to read more and more. It definitely reads like a 12 years old’s journal. He complains about his mother being unfair, about his parents preferring his baby brother, his punishments, his deals with bullies, the girls he likes, and much more. It is so real; it is a story most people will relate too, it will definitely make you re-live your younger years, especially if you have siblings. But, what makes it so irresistible is actually the wimpy tone in which is written. It is such light reading that I couldn’t get tired of reading about a boy complaining about his big brother, even when it was for the hundredth time; besides most of the anecdotes are hilarious. Also, the cartoons improved my enjoinment of the story. Sometimes he’d tell a story and I would giggle because I could see it in my mind, but then I’d see the doddle and I would definitely laugh out loud. For example, once he’s telling the story of the first time he wanted to call the girl of his dreams: Piper. To avoid his big brother Rodrick’s mockery, he went to his parents’ room, took the phone and hid under a blanket on the floor. He was about to dial when his father entered the room.



At this point I was already laughing, but when I saw the doodle that followed it, I couldn’t contain myself. I threw the laptop aside and laugh out loud until I didn’t had any air left in my lungs. 


One thing I didn’t liked about the story is how Greg manipulates, uses and takes advantage of his “best friend” Rowley. Of course, Rowley is dumb enough to fall for it almost every time. Also, Greg is doing what he is used to, because he is with Rowley the way Rodrick is with him.

I already noted that it has more than one thousand pages but don’t get scared. First, there are few lines in each page, and the letters are big because it’s shaped to look like hadwriting. Second, it has many many doodles. And thirdly the story is so easy to read, the pages will fly by. At the end you’ll keep wanting more. I know I still do. So now I will read the books and hope Kenney write a hundred more.

*Images in this post are property of Jeff Kinney and Funbrain.com


0 comments:

Share your thoughts...