Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Magician's Nephew (By Steph)

Title: The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles of Narnia #6)

Author: C.S. Lewis

Year of Publication: 1955

Official Fan Page


Synopsis: When Digory and Polly are tricked by Digory's peculiar Uncle Andrew into becoming part of an experiment, they set off on the adventure of a lifetime. What happens to the children when they touch Uncle Andrew's magic rings is far beyond anything even the old magician could have imagined.

Hurtled into the Wood between the Worlds, the children soon find that they can enter many worlds through the mysterious pools there. In one world they encounter the evil Queen Jadis, who wreaks havoc in the streets of London when she is accidentally brought back with them. When they finally manage to pull her out of London, unintentionally taking along Uncle Andrew and a coachman with his horse, they find themselves in what will come to be known as the land of Narnia.


STEPH SAID

Rating:


Review:


Reading The Chronicles of Narnia in the chronological order is a bit weird, I don’t know why. Before reading this book I hadn’t read or watched anything that had to do with Narnia. I hadn’t watched any of the movies because I wanted to wait until I had read the books. I did knew little details about The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe --which I learned when watching the movie trailer--  but that was it. Apparently that was more than enough knowledge about the story; it took the element of surprise from reading this book. For example, I wasn’t surprised when I read about Aslan or the magical creatures because I already knew about them, so the kids were scared but I knew the animals weren’t going to harm them.

Overall it was a good book, though I din’t enjoyed it as much as I thought. Then again, I had to keep reminding myself I was reading a children’s book not a YA novel. Since it’s a story that children and adults love alike, I thought it was going to be something like Harry Potter: timeless, magical, epic, with depth. And it was, but to a lesser degree; like it was sugar coated. Nothing extremely bad, risky or evil happened. The kids didn’t have to make impossible decisions and it had a fairytale feeling to it, like everything was going to be alright at the end.

Being a prequel, it reads as an explanatory essay. It feels, from the beginning of the story, that everything is leading up to the creation of Narnia. C.S. Lewis wrote every detail of this book, so it would fit with what was written in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, not the other way around.  I mean, that’s how I felt it. Of course the series is called The Chronicles of Narnia; therefore, the creation of Narnia should be the main event. Beside this event, the book didn’t have a great deep story. Just what was needed to explain the setting of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

I did like to learn about the creation of Narnia. Let me tell you, a great picture was painted in my mind. I loved how it was created through music, and how everything that was planted at that moment would germinate. And even though it may not sound like it, I did also liked the happy ending. I loved that Digory was tested, that he needed to earn Aslan’s help. That gave an edge to the fairytale feeling. Everything was going to be ok, but it wasn’t going to be as easy as saying some magic word and voilà. I also love how Lewis explained the power of The Wardrobe, and how it was created.

What would’ve made this book amazing is the exploration of other worlds. In the Wood between the Worlds (literally a forest that connect worlds) there were an infinite number of ponds, each pond leading to a new world. Digory and Polly only “discovered” two worlds: Charn and Narnia. He had infinite possibilities and Lewis decided to go with just two. It would’ve been wonderful to meet new worlds and new creatures within them.

Even after finishing this book, many questions were left unanswered; questions that would arise later as I read the next books of the series. What happened to the king and queen of Narnia? And why were adults chosen as rulers? (In Prince Caspian is established that a young human must be ruler of Narnia) Where did the people from Calormen came from? (The children of the king and queen were married to dryads and nayades, therefore there were no true humans) How and why did Queen Jadis put Narnia in an infinite winter? What happened with the apple tree that was planted in Narnia at the end of this book? Why would Aslan give Jadis, an evil intruder, any power at all? (In The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe Jadis says that a traitor’s blood belongs to her as stipulated in the rules of the beginning of the world) More importantly, where did Aslan came from? Who gave him his powers?

I still haven’t finished the whole series. I hope these questions are answered by the time I finish.



0 comments:

Share your thoughts...