Thursday, November 1, 2012

TCON: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

Title: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

Year: 2005

Director: Andrew Adamson

Rating by MPAA: PG for battle sequences and frightening moments


Synopsis: Four kids travel through a wardrobe to the land of Narnia and learn of their destiny to free it with the guidance of a mystical lion.

IMDb page for extra info here.

Official Trailer



STEPH SAID

Read the book review first!

Rating:


Review:

I was thinking of writing two small reviews: one reviewing the movie as a stand-alone movie, the other one comparing the movie to the book. As I analyzed it, and thought about what to write, I realized that the movie’s pros and cons are basically the same, whether I’m reviewing it as a stand-alone or not.


This movie made justice to the legend that The Chronicles of Narnia is. It’s not a perfect adaptation but it’s pretty close.

The story overall is the same. There are some changes to help the story move along. For example, when Maugrim and his wolves surrounded the Pevensies on the melting river. One important addition to the movie was when Pevensies checked the wardrobe after Lucy went to Narnia. After reading the book, I couldn’t understand why Narnia came and go, I even thought Lucy was imagining things. However, the movie offers a possible explanation why Narnia is not always present.

Some changes, well, I don’t know why they were added. For example, the introduction of Mr. Fox as a supporting character: Yes, he helped the Pevensies escape from the wolves but if the movie kept to the book, Mr. Fox wasn’t needed. Nevertheless, one of my favorites parts of the movie, occurred thanks to Mr. Fox:

Fox: Forgive me, your Majesty.
Jadis The White Witch: Oh, don't waste my time with flattery.
Fox: Not to seem rude, but I wasn't actually talking to you.

[looks at Edmund]

Usually when I watch movies with CGI, I scrutinize the scenes, so I can pinpoint the shots that look fake. The CGI in this movie was splendid. The world of Narnia looked marvelous, its creatures realistic. The Beavers looked genuine and Aslan, impressive and powerful. After watching the movie I understood why it is said, in the books, that he doesn’t look like a regular lion.

The supporting cast and the kid actors played their roles very well, especially Skandar Keynes, who played Edmund. But Tilda Swinton and James McAvoy took the cake with their remarkable performances as The White Witch and Mr. Tumnus. As a bonus, Liam Neeson gave voice to Aslan. Enough said.

The movie’s high point was Aslan’s death. Every bad creature from lore, legend and mythology made an appearance.  Among those beasts Aslan was humiliated and murdered; his “performance” was mighty and the pain, real.

The ending of the movie was basically the same as the book’s. The Pevensies are shown as grown-up queens and kings following The White Stag. Then, inadvertently, they fall through the wardrobe’s door to the real world. Even though the Pevensies spent a lifetime in Narnia, only a couple of minutes had passed on Earth. At this point people are left wondering if Narnia is actually real or just part of the Pevensies imagination. Sincerely, if I hadn’t read the book before watching the movie, I would still be wondering.

0 comments:

Share your thoughts...