Friday, November 16, 2012

Voyage of the Dawn Treader (By Steph)

Title: Votage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia #3)

Author: C.S. Lewis

Year of Publication: 1952

Official Fan Page



Synopsis: NARNIA . . . the world of wicked dragons and magic spells, where the very best is brought out of even the worst people, where anything can happen (and most often does) . . . and where the adventure begins. The Dawn Treader is the first ship Narnia has seen in centuries. King Caspian has built it for his voyage to find the seven lords, good men whom his evil uncle Miraz banished when he usurped the throne. The journey takes Edmund, Lucy, and their cousin Eustace to the Eastern Islands, beyond the Silver Sea, toward Aslan's country at the End of the World. Enter this enchanted world countless times in The Chronicles of Narnia.



STEPH SAID

Rating: 


Review:


This is an amazing book. Everything I was expecting from The Chronicles of Narnia as a whole, was fulfilled in this book alone. The discovery of other worlds, different people, adventures, even a love story (although this was just mentioned at the end) and not the slightest glimpse of a battle.

From the beginning of the book I felt captivated by the scenery and change in environment. Reepicheep said that their adventures would begin after they leave the Lone Islands and, in fact, they did. One of the reasons behind the voyage was to find the lords Miraz sent to the east in Prince Caspian. And as they traveled east, the crew of the Dawn Treader discovered new islands, new people within them and, in each one, they lived a different adventure. In one island one of the crew member became a dragon, in another the water from a pond turned everything to gold; there was one that made people’s dreams a reality; in another one there were invisible people; and in one the crew met a star. Also, in between islands, they fought a Kraken! This is everything I was expecting and asking of Narnia since I read The Magician’s Nephew (the first book from The Chronicles that I read). I was left wanting more from the books of Narnia. In "The Woods between the Worlds" every world is connected and I lamented that Digory and Polly didn’t see them. But in this book the crew did. I mean, they didn’t met new worlds but they did discovered new islands; these islands were so amazing and so new and different from everything else, that every time the Dawn Treader docked on an island it felt like it had arrived at a different world. 

The other reason for the voyage, Reepicheep’s personal motive, was to go to the end of the world and find Aslan’s country. This part of journey started after the last lord was found and was so inspiring, it could’ve been stretched to last a whole book. C.S. Lewis brilliantly wrote these awe-inspiring pictures, bringing to life crystal waters, underwater cities and a sea of white lilies; a place so amazing people started to rejuvenate. The only words that can describe those scenes, Lewis already used. If I try to describe it or explain it I’ll just lessen its impact and brilliancy.

This book saw the introduction of a new character: Eustace, cousin of the Pevensie children. I didn’t like him much, even after his change in personality. At first he was obnoxious and mean. When he was on board of the Dawn Treader all he did was complain. However, during one of the adventures he underwent a change of heart. He began acting differently, changing slowly. At the end of the book, people noticed the difference. I did notice a difference: I notice that, with the exception of some “heroic” acts, he didn’t had a personality. At first he wasn’t nice, but you could say something about him. After his change of heart I couldn’t find anything to say about him. He was just there, said some lines and did some things that were considered heroic, even though worthless, by teenagers and Narnians alike.

The love story, Prince Caspian’s, was subtle; just mentioned in two or three sentences. I would have loved to hear everything about it or at least know how it happened. I still want to know what happened when Caspian reached Ramandu’s island and how and why Caspian decided to marry Ramandu’s daughter.

On a negative note I do have to point out that in a part of the story Caspian’s behavior was out of character. He was mean, rude and proud; he was shouting and even insulted Reepicheep. He was ready to fight Edmund (”Caspian's hand had gone to his sword hilt”), and if it wouldn’t have been for Lucy, he would’ve. Caspian, the character, would’ve never done such a thing. Now at this point the Dawn Treader was at the end of the world and people were feeling happier, healthier and younger every day. So, even if Caspian would normally act like a bully, he wouldn’t have such behavior under these circumstances.  It would be impossible.

My favorite quotes from this book are (in order of appearance):

Firstly:
"That's all right," said Edmund. "Between ourselves, you haven't been as bad as I was on my first trip to Narnia. You were only an ass, but I was a traitor." 

I got to love Edmund! Secondly, and this is the one I found the funniest:
[…] said the Chief Monopod “for there's no denying we're mortal ugly now" […]

"Eh, that we are, Chief, that we are," echoed the others […]
"But I don't think you are at all," said Lucy, shouting to make herself heard. "I think you look very nice."
"Hear her, hear her," said the Monopods. "True for you, Missie. Very nice we look. You couldn't find a handsomer lot." They said this without any surprise and did not seem to notice that they had changed their minds.

And last, but not least: 
 "Do you mean to say," asked Caspian, "that you three come from a round world (round like a ball) and you've never told me! It's really too bad of you. Because we have fairy-tales in which there are round worlds and I always loved them. I never believed there were any real ones. But I've always wished there were and I've always longed to live in one. Oh, I'd give anything - I wonder why you can get into our world and we never get into yours? If only I had the chance! It must be exciting to live on a thing like a ball. Have you ever been to the parts where people walk about upside-down?"

0 comments:

Share your thoughts...